A student-led movement to divest university endowments from the fossil fuel sector is gaining momentum on many campuses.
This forum is intended to educate and foster debate amongst our university community about the implications of divesting The New School’s $220M endowment of fossil fuel companies. A panel discussion and audience Q&A will address the following questions:
- How is our endowment managed, invested and used?
- What are the symbolic, practical, and financial implications of divesting from the fossil fuel sector?
- As a shareholder, how else might the university influence these companies?
- Are there other more effective strategies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions?
- How does the divestment question factor into the university’s overall commitment to environmental sustainability?
Reception to follow.
This event is sponsored by the President's Office, the University Student Senate, University Faculty Senate, and the Advisory Committee on Investor Responsibility (ACIR).
Event Information http://events.newschool.edu/event/university_endowments_in_the_era_of_climate_change_the_new_schools_options_for_reducing_greenhouse_gasses#.UxDVHv0WXMF